The R&D Manager holds responsibility for the global activities of Bruker microCT R&D organization, participates to the PCI R&D strategy, as well as the budget for R&D efforts. In this function, he/she leads the R&D team (responsible for engineering and technology product management).
Within this responsibility, the R&D Manager is accountable for the technology development, advanced development, new product development, process development, and R&D technology portfolio management. This includes all required handshakes (and escalations) between Product Development and the Divisions, Service, Procurement, Production, Quality&Regulatory as well as external technology partners.
The R&D Manager ensures that the work within R&D is performed efficiently and effectively. This requires clearly defined roles, responsibilities, goals and operating mechanisms, as well as an inspiring and motivating work environment, solid management capability and adequate infrastructure. He/she ensures efficient and synergetic collaboration within a global team.
A key responsibility of the R&D Manager is to optimally position PCI for the future. This covers early scouting and development of new technologies (and respective risk management) as well as driving paradigm changing new concepts, as well as developing leaders for future roles. This should result in a high energy working environment with an active feedback culture and a continuous improvement attitude.
The R&D Manager strategically develops a R&D ecosystem with external partners, both in an academic as well as in an industrial environment. This ecosystem shall be driven towards a good balance of core and non-core activities, but also towards an active risk management regarding new technologies.
· Leadership of the R&D organization and the R&D leadership team
· Budget responsibility for R&D staff, material and external resources
· Overall R&D strategy regarding technologies, big bets, methodologies
· Skills and competence development in R&D to stay ahead of technology and market changes
· Talent acquisition and talent development within R&D
· Strategically develop relationships with external R&D partners
· Harmonization and optimization of tools, practices and R&D methodology
· Patent Management
The candidate requires the following qualifications:
· Minimum of 5 years professional R&D management experience with a corresponding performance record.
· PhD or University degree in a relevant field / technology
· Profound understanding on modern R&D methodology and tools
· Profound understanding and experience in the R&D product development process
· Good knowledge in SAP, Office and Project Management tools
· Good knowledge in budgeting, finance and P&L process
The candidate requires the following technical skills:
· Profound understanding of X-ray tomography
· Profound understanding relevant technological trends outside the organization
· Profound understanding and experience in design for manufacturing process
· Ability to optimally set up and shape organizations and processes
· Good understanding of the Operations and Service process
· Excellent written and spoken English language skills
The candidate requires the following management, strategic and social skills:
· Natural leadership and integrity
· Natural people management skills
· Excellent intercultural communications skills
· Ability to lead through times of ambiguity and change
· Ability to transmit values and lead by example (“walk the talk”)
· Ability to adapt to changing organizational boundary conditions
· High degree of identification with the organization and its targets
· Ability to form, motivate, lead and resolve conflicts within teams
· Strategic, analytical and entrepreneur like thinking
· Focused and decisive working attitude
· Time and self-management